Tuesday, August 05, 2008

china beta


While I still haven't seen the August issue of Paste (guess getting the cover story doesn't warrant a copy?), my piece looking at the current Chinese rock scene is in it. Entitled "Daydream Nation", it touches on how NYC noise-rock inspired a new generation of Chinese rockers. While I wished there was more room to expand on such sub-topics like the woeful audio engineering/ management/ recording company infrastructure of the country, I was pretty proud of the piece (and thought the illustrations were pretty sweet). Over the next few weeks, I'll be posting several interviews stemming from the piece with folks like composer/ guitarist Elliott Sharp, club promoter Michael Pettis, Carsick Cars' guitarist Zhang Shouwang, and Public Enemy bassist Brian Hardgroove.